[LEAPSECS] stale leap second information

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Jan 12 02:58:08 EST 2015

I was googling for how to precisely set a sidereal pendulum clock to within 10 milliseconds of accuracy and was reminded of a topic I meant to bring up a while ago.

The web is full of incorrect and outdated leap second information and tables. Here's one example:

Standards of Fundamental Astronomy
http://www.iausofa.org/2001_0331/Timescales.html
    Delta(AT) (=TAI-UTC) for a given UTC date.
    http://www.iausofa.org/2001_0331/sofa/dat.for
        where we read "Latest leap second:  1999 January 1"

I run into this all the time with leap second related web searches. It's funny for me, because I don't rely on it. But surely this is a problem for people with job titles. There must be thousands of source files with stale leap second tables or defined constants or bogus comments and millions of binary images holding this outdated data.

Is there any solution to this?

/tvb