[LEAPSECS] stale leap second information

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Tue Jan 13 16:50:36 EST 2015

On 2015-01-13 01:44 PM, Hal Murray wrote:
>> If I understand the provenance, BIPM is responsible for maintaining  atomic
>> time and TAI, IERS is responsible maintaining for UT1 and Leap  Seconds, and
>> ITU is responsible for "time dissemination". Whats not so  clear, and it
>> would be reassuring to know, is how the information is  officially shared
>> between these bodies and to what degree its automated.
> I don't think the ITU does any actual dissemination.  They don't run any
> servers or radio transmitters.

Right. They are a standards body -

ITU-R  Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R)

"Our mission is to ensure the rational, equitable, efficient and
economical use of the radio-frequency spectrum by all radiocommunication
services, including those using satellite orbits, and to carry out
studies and approve Recommendations on radiocommunication matters."

http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-R/Pages/default.aspx

> I picture the ITU as a level higher than that.  They coordinate things like
> "We all agree to use leap seconds

.. the way Rec 460 says

ITU-R Recommendation TF.460
Rec. ITU-R TF.460-6, Standard-frequency and time-signal emissions
http://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-TF.460/en

> and BIPM will figure out when they happen."

The IERS "will figure out when they happen".

IERS    International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service

The primary objectives of the IERS are to serve the astronomical,
geodetic and geophysical communities by providing data and standards
related to Earth rotation and reference frames.

http://www.iers.org/nn_10880/IERS/EN/Organization/About/about.html?__nnn=true

-Brooks