[LEAPSECS] stale leap second information

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jan 15 21:09:49 EST 2015

> There is no problem if the message is "Next leap second is #N at YYYY-MM"
> and after that changes to "Next leapsecond is #{N+1} at unknown future
> date".

> I've seriously been contemplating offering such a service myself in order to
> get reliable leap-second info in Ntimed...

Are you talking about clients or servers?  Are the leap-bits in the current
NTP packet format good enough to get the info to clients if the servers are
setup correctly?

Do you also need the expiration date of the info?

Is DNS light weight enough that it's not worth the effort to avoid extra
lookups?

Can the DNS TTL be used for that?  I'm not a DNS wizard, but I don't think
the data files feeding the current DNS servers are setup to process
valid-until-xxxx.  A cron job could update the TTL each night.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.