[LEAPSECS] CEPT ECC viewpoint on leap seconds

mike at lumieresimaginaire.com mike at lumieresimaginaire.com
Wed Jan 28 05:31:45 EST 2015

Oops - that last one got away while I was trying to quit HTML!!!

Le 28.01.2015 11:09, Poul-Henning Kamp a écrit :

> --------
> In message <54C8B26D.6050904 at edlmax.com>, Brooks Harris writes:
>
>> It says - "Until now the solution has been to introduce a 'leap
>> second', in other words to stop 'official/scientific' time
>> (Co-ordinated Universal Time, 'UTC'), for one second every so often."

  yes. completely incorrect.

  Hold the phone. "to stop 'official/scientific' time"?!? How worrisome
is it that the chair of the committee considering the Leap Second
question could make a statement like that?

> Hold the yelling: What are the chances that we can ever implement
> leap-seconds in a responsible fashion, if even a such persons do
> not grasp what it is ?

   Probably not so much a misunderstanding as inability to communicate. I
wonder sometimes whether the issue is in the term Leap , which implies
jumping over something, whereas the French term "intercalaire" indicates
inserting which in most cases better describes what is going on.