[LEAPSECS] 2-hour leap smear in Japan

Kevin Birth Kevin.Birth at qc.cuny.edu
Tue Jun 23 13:40:37 EDT 2015

With regard to NTP, the following link discusses it some.  Unfortunately, this time Google translate really botches things.  My reading (and my Japanese is not that great) is that this telecomm company’s server will sync to NTP, but it will send out a leap smear over a couple of hours to the smartphones of its customers so that by the time the leap second is implemented in NTP the phones will match the NTP server’s time.

In general, I’m finding it interesting that this strategy of a 2-hour smear seems to be popular in Japan.

http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20150623_708432.html

Best,

Kevin