[LEAPSECS] leap second festivities?

Richard B. Langley lang at unb.ca
Tue Jun 30 10:51:58 EDT 2015

From:
WE SHOULD DROP THE LEAP SECOND BEFORE IT CAUSES REAL DAMAGE
http://www.wired.com/2015/06/just-drop-leap-second-unnecessary/

"Matsakis advocates the abolition of the leap second, pointing out that we already spend so much our time out of sync with the earth’s rotation. “This is what happens in the summertime,” he says. “We do Daylight Savings.”

"He may get his wish. In November, members of the International Telecommunications Union—another global time body—are set to discuss the matter. But according to Steve Allen, a programmer with California’s Lick Observatory who closely follows the leap second and other global matters of time, the ITU has been discussing the leap second for years. At the last big meeting, Britain, Canada, and China all moved to keep it alive.

"Britain’s stance is to be expected. It sees itself as the world’s time keeper. Greenwich Mean Time and all that. If we remove the leap second, the world’s clocks and computers will drop out of sync with GMT, which is based on the sun. That would be sad. But times change."

I've heard that this time around, in November, Canada's position will be neutral.

-- Richard

On Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 181, at 10:46 AM, Rob Seaman wrote:

> What are people’s plans for the day?  Aside from reading the usual mishmash of bad (and some good) news articles, I’m planning to make a shaker of Margaritas in my rocket ship (http://bit.ly/1HvwlHn) and watch / listen to the music of the time signals with my perplexed but patient family.
>
> Trending meme for the day: two instances of the same Doctor Who pun on Peter’s name:
>
> 	"Whibberley-Wobbly timey-wimey"
>
> Rob

| Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: lang at unb.ca         |
| Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://gge.unb.ca/     |
| Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142   |
| University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943   |
| Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3                                        |
|        Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.fredericton.ca/       |