[LEAPSECS] My FOSDEM slides

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Mar 5 08:48:26 EST 2015

michael.deckers via LEAPSECS wrote:

>     On 2015-03-03 21:05, Martin Burnicki wrote about
>     negative leap seconds:
>
>>  In the 7 year interval where no leap second was required/scheduled I
>> heard
>>  several people saying we might have needed a negative leap second.
>
>     Fortunately, this is not a matter of speculation.

I know.

>     An easy way to
>     see the trend of UT1 - UTC is to look at DUT1 (published in
>     Bulletin D). DUT1 is an approximation to UT1 - UTC and has
>     always stepped down (except, of course, at positive leap seconds),
>     ever since the earliest Bulletin D available on the web (1991-06-20).

Yes, but if you observe that DUT1 steps down slower and slower you can
speculate whether it would start to step up over some years.

>     Before a negative leap seconds would be scheduled, we would see
>     DUT1 stepping up several times in a row, so there _is_ some
>     advance warning.

Agreed.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Senior Software Engineer

MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG
Email: martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Phone: +49 (0)5281 9309-14
Fax: +49 (0)5281 9309-30

Lange Wand 9, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
Web: http://www.meinberg.de