[LEAPSECS] Letters Blogatory

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Mar 11 17:37:48 EDT 2015

Clive D.W. Feather <clive at davros.org> wrote:

> Poul-Henning Kamp said:
>> We have a saying in danish "Skoma'r bliv ved din læst" which translates
>> to "Cobbler stay at your workbench".
>
> The English word is "last": "The cobbler should stick to his last". Almost
> certainly with the same derivation.

If you find yourself in Bucks County, Pennsylvania strongly consider visiting the Mercer Museum:

	http://www.mercermuseum.org

A six story concrete castle built by two guys with a wheel barrow and a dog.  In addition to several examples of cobbler’s lasts visitors can view vast numbers of artifacts from innumerable professions (including gallows and whaleboat).  It’s across the street from James Michener’s Art Museum.

Sans traffic (as if) it’s under 2 hours from Queen’s College.

>> The fact that he is a lawyer seems to have nothing, if anything to do
>> with his personal opinion on leap seconds.
>>
>> In other words:  Yeah, he's entitled to his opinion, just like everybody
>> else, but he doesn't have any special standing for his opinion, which as
>> others have pointed out, interfaces badly with reality.
>
> Exactly.

One imagines that many of the attendees of WRC-15 will be lawyers.  Mr. Folkman has replied to the list on his blog.

Rob