[LEAPSECS] Civil timekeeping before 1 January 1972

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Mar 13 03:29:40 EDT 2015

--------

> I didn't think that NTP or POSIX or PTP is what we'd call a
> timescale. NTP is a UTC synchronization algorithm.

If we give the subword "scale" its usual meaning, then NTP is a
(also) a timescale:  It carefully defines the scale on which it is
going to synchronize computer clocks, in particular it defines the
measurement unit on this scale to be 2^-32 SI second and the handling
of epoch roll-overs (every 2^32 SI seconds).

But more importantly, when we get to the point were we are arguing
over the meaning of common well known words we might as well stop it.