[LEAPSECS] Look Before You Leap – The Coming Leap Second and AWS | Hacker News

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Tue May 19 04:10:25 EDT 2015

A key point I've been making all along is that there needs to be an
internationally agreed standard for how to do the smoothing. In Java I
recommended UTC-SLS simply because it was at least a written up
approach. (My preference is for a linear change because there is less
chance of implementors getting it wrong).

We would also need an agreed name for a time-scale that is aligned
with UTC most of the time but that always has 86400 subdivisions of
the day (rubber seconds). The lack of a name for this (something which
I strongly believe is desired) is very frustrating. I'd suggest
UT-86400 as a starting point for a name.

Stephen