[LEAPSECS] Look Before You Leap – The Coming Leap Second and AWS | Hacker News

michael.deckers michael.deckers at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 08:31:39 EDT 2015

   On 2015-05-19 08:10, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> A key point I've been making all along is that there needs to be an
> internationally agreed standard for how to do the smoothing. In Java I
> recommended UTC-SLS simply because it was at least a written up
> approach. (My preference is for a linear change because there is less
> chance of implementors getting it wrong).

   What for? I consider all these schemes just as internal
   representations of UTC time stamps, chosen according to special
   needs and constraints. We would not have so many different
   internal representations if there was no need for them.

   For data interchange and external storage, We have the standardized
   and well-understood notation of ISO 8601 for time stamps
   with leap seconds, such as 2015-06-30T23:59:60.2Z. Every
   internal representation must be convertible to and from that
   standard. In my opinion, no other standard is needed.

   Michael Deckers.