[LEAPSECS] Look before you don't leap

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed May 20 01:02:18 EDT 2015

On May 19, 2015, at 1:39 PM, Joseph M Gwinn <gwinn at raytheon.com> wrote:

> In short, POSIX systems have to be able to work in a cave, with no access to the sky or knowledge of astronomy.

If the cave has access to NTP it has access to the IERS.

And astronomy happens underground as well:

	http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/sudbury-neutrino-observatory

Astronomers and others rely on both solar and atomic timescales.  Both need transport infrastructure to the most remote locations on Earth (and under it and in orbit).

On the other hand, the one thing we can be sure about POSIX is that it will ultimately have a finite lifespan.  But a day on Earth (and on Mars and Pluto) will always be a synodic (mean solar) day, whatever decision is made at WRC-15.

Rob