[LEAPSECS] Leap Seconds schedule prior to 1972

John Sauter John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com
Mon Apr 25 11:11:07 EDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-04-25 at 09:40 -0400, Brooks Harris wrote:

>  Hi John,
> "understood and widely used ", yes. Standardized by an international
> standards organization, I'm not sure. Anyone know of one? There's a
> lot of things in timekeeping that are done on a "common practice" or
> "de facto standard" basis. In some cases these are not as commonly
> understood as one might wish.

I also don't know of an ISO standard for the Julian Day Number, but it
has been used by astronomers for about 400 years, and everybody seems
to agree on its definition.

> >  Doing something non-standard just to create a unique time scale
> > doesn't seem like a good enough reason.
>  It can avoid any ambiguity of interpretation if its clearly defined
> especially its alignment to 1972-01-01
> 00:00:10 (TAI) = 1972-01-01T00:00:00 (UTC).

To be sure, but it is also possible to avoid any ambiguity of
interpretation by using a well-understood and widely-used method for
specifying days.

> Julian Day has an epoch of "12 noon 1 JAN -4712 (4713 BC)". Beyond
> that you've got to go to a "proleptic Julian Date" which is not
> exactly "standard". A negative 86400 second day number extends to the
> arbitrarily distant past depending on how many bits you decide to
> carry.
>
> Julian Day may be OK. But somebody might ask when, exactly, did the
> Chicxulub meteor impact? I know that's beyond your scope but your
> timescale extended further as need arose.

I suspect negative Julian Day Numbers isn't "a standard" because there
is little need for them.  I myself don't have any problem with negative
Julian Day Numbers.  The meteor hit at approximately Julian Day Number
-24,105,840,000.  Maybe someday we will know when it hit to the day, or
even the second.

A really good time scale would start with the Big Bang and count time
using a fundamental unit something like Planck time, about 10 to the
-43 seconds.

--
PGP fingerprint = E24A D25B E5FE 4914 A603  49EC 7030 3EA1
9A0B 511E