[LEAPSECS] Leap Seconds schedule prior to 1972

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Mon Apr 25 13:28:26 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-25 11:11 AM, John Sauter wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-04-25 at 09:40 -0400, Brooks Harris wrote:
>>   Hi John,
>> "understood and widely used ", yes. Standardized by an international
>> standards organization, I'm not sure. Anyone know of one? There's a
>> lot of things in timekeeping that are done on a "common practice" or
>> "de facto standard" basis. In some cases these are not as commonly
>> understood as one might wish.
> I also don't know of an ISO standard for the Julian Day Number, but it
> has been used by astronomers for about 400 years, and everybody seems
> to agree on its definition.
Yes, its well known and well established. But it drives me a little nuts
when there's not a real standard, and timekeeping is full of such
things. Gregorian calendar is well defined in ISO 8601 for example, and
that is something you can hang your hat on. UTC similarly, but the
specifications are scattered throughout BIPM, IERS, and ITU-R so its not
so easy to understand. It holds water in the end, but its pretty fragmented.

>>>   Doing something non-standard just to create a unique time scale
>>> doesn't seem like a good enough reason.
>>   It can avoid any ambiguity of interpretation if its clearly defined
>> especially its alignment to 1972-01-01
>> 00:00:10 (TAI) = 1972-01-01T00:00:00 (UTC).
>>
> To be sure, but it is also possible to avoid any ambiguity of
> interpretation by using a well-understood and widely-used method for
> specifying days.
Sure. But a negative 86400 day number is simpler to explain, understand,
and implement - no conversion required until you need to align it to
something else - Julian, MJD, POSIX, PTP, GPS, etc. Just a thought.

>> Julian Day has an epoch of "12 noon 1 JAN -4712 (4713 BC)". Beyond
>> that you've got to go to a "proleptic Julian Date" which is not
>> exactly "standard". A negative 86400 second day number extends to the
>> arbitrarily distant past depending on how many bits you decide to
>> carry.
>>
>> Julian Day may be OK. But somebody might ask when, exactly, did the
>> Chicxulub meteor impact? I know that's beyond your scope but your
>> timescale extended further as need arose.
>>
> I suspect negative Julian Day Numbers isn't "a standard" because there
> is little need for them.  I myself don't have any problem with negative
> Julian Day Numbers.  The meteor hit at approximately Julian Day Number
> -24,105,840,000.
OK. Wow. Fun to think about :-)
> Maybe someday we will know when it hit to the day, or
> even the second.
>
> A really good time scale would start with the Big Bang and count time
> using a fundamental unit something like Planck time, about 10 to the
> -43 seconds.
Yup. But "proleptic UTC" as you are doing it is a useful engineering
approximation for "civil time" purposes on Earth. It gets a little dicey
if you ask what proleptic UTC time it was when the impact that created
the moon occurred. Were there Leap Seconds before that?

-Brooks