[LEAPSECS] Leap Seconds schedule prior to 1972

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Wed Apr 27 15:13:02 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-27 11:53 AM, John Sauter wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-04-27 at 11:41 -0400, Brooks Harris wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> One quick comment -
>>
>> Couldn't we computer folks start to use the very sensible ISO 8601
>> date format? For example
>>
>> EXPIRATION_DATE=2457751 # 2016 12 28
>>
>> -Brooks
>>
> I used Day Month Year with the month as a three-letter abbreviation
> because the leap-seconds.list file from IETF (and I think others) does
> it this way.  That is also my excuse for using "#" as the comment
> marker.
>      John Sauter (John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com)
I understand. But its always seemed to me those old formats should be
obsolesced, that ISO 8601 presented an attractive alternative, that the
YMDhms order made such good sense. Of course formats must remain reverse
compatible, so they've proably had to stick with what they'd done. But
in your case the whole timescale is new (wait, maybe its old? :-) ) so
its an opportunity to suggest adopting a more sensible and modern lexicon.

-Brooks