[LEAPSECS] Leap Seconds schedule prior to 1972

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Wed Apr 27 16:57:52 EDT 2016

On Wed 2016-04-27T15:13:02 -0400, Brooks Harris hath writ:
> I understand. But its always seemed to me those old formats should
> be obsolesced, that ISO 8601 presented an attractive alternative,
> that the YMDhms order made such good sense. Of course formats must
> remain reverse compatible, so they've proably had to stick with what
> they'd done. But in your case the whole timescale is new (wait,
> maybe its old? :-) ) so its an opportunity to suggest adopting a
> more sensible and modern lexicon.

ISO 8601 specifies the Gregorian calendar, and 500 years ago there
could be nobody using the Gregorian calendar.

500 years ago there were only a handful of clocks that had a minute
hand, and they were not accurate to a minute a day.

Whether or not this scheme uses ISO 8601, please be sure that the
accompanying documentation explains that it cannot correspond to
contemporary records of 500 years ago.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>               WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165   Lat  +36.99855