[LEAPSECS] Leap second to be introduced at midnight UTC December 31 this year

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Jul 22 13:38:45 EDT 2016

> The data format only has a "leap second pending flag", which means a
> leap second is to be inserted.

Hi Martin,

Ouch. Well that's a problem. LSEM aside, what are you going to do if the earth continues to gradually speed up as it has the past couple of decades?

If you look at the WWVB spec, it also has a single bit for leap second pending. So at first glance it would appear to have the same problem as DCF77. But WWVB has bits for DUT1; the sign bit of DUT1 effectively tells you if the pending leap second is insert or delete.

/tvb