[LEAPSECS] Leap second to be introduced at midnight UTC December 31 this year

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at burnicki.net
Mon Jul 25 10:25:52 EDT 2016

Tom Van Baak wrote:
>> The data format only has a "leap second pending flag", which means a
>> leap second is to be inserted.
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> Ouch. Well that's a problem. LSEM aside, what are you going to do if the earth continues to gradually speed up as it has the past couple of decades?

I don't know. This must have been overseen by the folks who made the
specs for the DCF-77 data format. This is bad especially since there
were a number of bits which were unused in the original spec but are
nowadays used to transmit some information which is not directly related
to the current date and time.

Martin