[LEAPSECS] Leap second to be introduced at midnight UTC December 31 this year

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Jul 25 05:37:12 EDT 2016

Tom Van Baak <tvb at LeapSecond.com> wrote:

> > Isn't the limit on DUTC 0.9s? So you can't have a leap second at the end
> > of the month when | UT1 - UTC | < 0.1
>
> Right, for LSEM to work, you'd have to extend the DUT1 limit a bit
> beyond 0.9s. Historically, DUT1 has changed from 0.1s to 0.5s to 0.7s to
> 0.9s, so I doubt 1.1s or 2.0s would be the showstopper.

As I understand it the problem with |DUT1| > 0.9s is to do with radio
signal compatibility, e.g. MSF only allows |DUT1| <= 0.8s +/- 0.05s

http://www.npl.co.uk/upload/pdf/MSF_Time_Date_Code.pdf

Tony.
Fisher, German Bight: South veering west or southwest, 3 or 4, increasing 5 at
times. Smooth becoming slight, occasionally moderate later in Fisher. Showers,
fog patches at first. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor at first.