[LEAPSECS] Bloomberg announced its smear

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Mon Sep 26 11:02:35 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-26 10:23 AM, Tony Finch wrote:
> Brooks Harris <brooks at edlmax.com> wrote:
>> The short of it is Windows behave just like POSIX as far as I can tell,
>> except its epoch, represented as struct FILETIME, is 1601-01-01T00:00:00
>> (UTC-like), which is, apparently the COBOL epoch (I didn't track down
>> the references on that).
> It turns up when converting formatted dates to integer count-of-days.
>
> http://community.microfocus.com/microfocus/cobol/extend_and_acucobol/f/20/t/9565.aspx
> https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ceea300/clccbld.htm
I've seen a couple explanations of "January 1, 1601" epoch, for
example,  this mentions "The ANSI Date defines January 1, 1601 as day 1,
and is used as the origin of COBOL integer dates. "

What is the significance of January 1, 1601?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10849717/what-is-the-significance-of-january-1-1601

I didn't try to find the relevant "ANSI Date" definitions, if they exist.

-Brooks