[LEAPSECS] Time math libraries, UTC to TAI

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jan 6 14:56:02 EST 2017

Keep in mind that leap seconds have a short shelf life. Over the next
1000 years, it's projected TAI - UT will grow to about an hour
(2500-4500 if I'm reading
https://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/deltat.html right). In two
thousand it will be about 4 hours due to quadratic acceleration.
That's ~10k seconds in 1k years, or about one per month. The current
UTC spec will run out of steam long before then, as it defines only 4
times to insert leap seconds (well, 4 preferred times, any month can
be victim). Needing 12 per year means we're driving at about 1s/month
which means that keeping DUT1 to < 0.9 will be a challenge due to
seasonal variation and such. The Nyquist limit suggests that we'll run
out of steam when we hit one every 6 months, which would be about
~1200 years from now (give or take a few hundred, there's a lot of
uncertainty in the long term rate). Some new means of synchronization
must be found, the only real question is when. Well before that date,
letters from BIPM/IERS will cease to cut it (I'm in the camp that says
we're already past that date: no reliable[*] means to get leap seconds
exists today from authoritative sources).

Warner

[*] By this I mean some non-forgeable, authoritatively signed by
BIPM/IERS table of leap seconds, automatically updated and an
official, guaranteed service of the agency.