[LEAPSECS] alternative to smearing

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sat Jan 7 09:38:20 EST 2017

On 6 Jan 2017 at 22:44, Hal Murray wrote:

> I think there are two different types of wait.  One is the simple wait N
> seconds.  The other is wait until a specified date-time, say a month from
> now.  They really are different so I don't see how to make your "one
> interface" work.

It seems you can come up with quite a few "types of wait", or types
of scheduling for future events, appointments, announcements, and so
on, all of which ought to be supported in robust calendaring /
scheduling programs.

* Events scheduled for a fixed point relative to local civil time at
a specific place; its point in absolute time can change if time zones
or daylight saving rules shift. Most local events, work shifts, and
so on are like that.

* A fixed point relative to a particular named time zone, like "U.S.
Eastern time". National TV networks tend to schedule their broadcasts
this way. This won't shift in response to time zone boundary changes,
like if Indiana decides to change time zones between Eastern and
Central, but will reflect changes in daylight saving shift dates that
apply zone-wide.

* Fixed point relative to UTC; won't change for time zone and
daylight saving shifts, but will reflect leap seconds.

* Fixed point relative to a leapless atomic scale such as TAI or GPS;
its' place relative to UTC will shift for leap seconds, and its place
relative to local time will shift for leap seconds, daylight saving,
and time zone shifts.

* Interval-time wait by absolute number of SI seconds (ignoring
leaps, time zones, and the like).

* Interval-time wait by number of some larger unit such as minutes,
hours, days, or years as reckoned in some particular time scale;
there may be leaps built in to it.

Some of these can also be put into some turmoil if more drastic
calendar-system changes are made such as the Julian/Gregorian shift
(and any future such thing that might be needed millennia from now
when the current calendar proves astronomically inadequate).

--
== Dan ==