[LEAPSECS] alternative to smearing

John Sauter John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com
Sat Jan 7 10:18:03 EST 2017

On Sat, 2017-01-07 at 09:38 -0500, Daniel R. Tobias wrote:
> On 6 Jan 2017 at 22:44, Hal Murray wrote:
>
> > I think there are two different types of wait.  One is the simple
> > wait N
> > seconds.  The other is wait until a specified date-time, say a
> > month from
> > now.  They really are different so I don't see how to make your
> > "one
> > interface" work.
>
> It seems you can come up with quite a few "types of wait", or types
> of scheduling for future events, appointments, announcements, and so
> on, all of which ought to be supported in robust calendaring /
> scheduling programs.
>
> * Events scheduled for a fixed point relative to local civil time at
> a specific place; its point in absolute time can change if time
> zones
> or daylight saving rules shift. Most local events, work shifts, and
> so on are like that.
>
> * A fixed point relative to a particular named time zone, like "U.S.
> Eastern time". National TV networks tend to schedule their
> broadcasts
> this way. This won't shift in response to time zone boundary
> changes,
> like if Indiana decides to change time zones between Eastern and
> Central, but will reflect changes in daylight saving shift dates
> that
> apply zone-wide.
>
> * Fixed point relative to UTC; won't change for time zone and
> daylight saving shifts, but will reflect leap seconds.
>
> * Fixed point relative to a leapless atomic scale such as TAI or
> GPS;
> its' place relative to UTC will shift for leap seconds, and its
> place
> relative to local time will shift for leap seconds, daylight saving,
> and time zone shifts.
>
> * Interval-time wait by absolute number of SI seconds (ignoring
> leaps, time zones, and the like).

I think a more common kind of wait is by number of SI seconds, ignoring
time zones but not leaps.  For example, if a device timeout is
specified as 5 seconds, you want to give it 5 seconds to respond, even
if one of those seconds is a leap second.

> * Interval-time wait by number of some larger unit such as minutes,
> hours, days, or years as reckoned in some particular time scale;
> there may be leaps built in to it.
>
> Some of these can also be put into some turmoil if more drastic
> calendar-system changes are made such as the Julian/Gregorian shift
> (and any future such thing that might be needed millennia from now
> when the current calendar proves astronomically inadequate).

While the operating system and system libraries should provide support
for implementing all of these kinds of wait, the responsibility for
distinguishing them is in the application.  A scheduling application
given "03:00" needs to know whether the time is local or UTC, and if it
is local time whether "03:00" really means 3 AM or 3 hours after
midnight, the difference being due to daylight saving time.

An example of application-specific interval calculation is paychecks
for third-shift workers.  Labor law says workers get paid for the
number of hours they work, no matter what the clock says.  If I work
from midnight to 8 AM, I get paid for 8 hours on most days, but once a
year I get 9 hours pay for 9 hours of work, and once a year I get 7
hours pay for 7 hours of work.

Fortunately, leap seconds are small enough adjustments that the labor
laws don't care about them, or we would have to adjust a worker's pay
whenever a leap second fell on the worker's shift.
    John Sauter (John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com)

--
PGP fingerprint E24A D25B E5FE 4914 A603  49EC 7030 3EA1 9A0B 511E