[LEAPSECS] alternative to smearing

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Sat Jan 7 20:18:21 EST 2017

Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:

> It seems you can come up with quite a few "types of wait", or types
> of scheduling for future events, appointments, announcements, and so
> on, all of which ought to be supported in robust calendaring /
> scheduling programs.

That's a very good list.

> * Events scheduled for a fixed point relative to local civil time at
> a specific place; its point in absolute time can change if time zones
> or daylight saving rules shift. Most local events, work shifts, and
> so on are like that.

As far as I know, calendaring applications usually can't do the above but
only (at best) the below, because the iCalendar format relates times
specifically to time zones rather than locations, so it doesn't allow for
changes in time zone boundaries.

> * A fixed point relative to a particular named time zone, like "U.S.
> Eastern time". National TV networks tend to schedule their broadcasts
> this way. This won't shift in response to time zone boundary changes,
> like if Indiana decides to change time zones between Eastern and
> Central, but will reflect changes in daylight saving shift dates that
> apply zone-wide.

Tony. (sorry for being off topic)
Biscay: Variable 3 in north, easterly 5 or 6 in south. Slight or moderate.
Fair. Good.