[LEAPSECS] the inception of leap seconds

Sanjeev Gupta ghane0 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 12:18:11 EDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 11:59 PM Zefram <zefram at fysh.org> wrote:

> Warner Losh wrote:
> >Eg, would we really be worse off if we'd said 'there will be a leap second
> >every 18 months starting Jan 1 1972?
>
> That would be a pretty good result, but would anyone have picked that
> rate of leaps in 1971?

All this means to me is that either time travel does not exist, or
astronomers of the future have severe funding issues.  Eg, if Warner had
access to a time machine, he could have sent the "leap second every 18
months is good in the decade-scale future" message back to 1971.

Maybe time travel is hard because you need to set the dial using UT2, but
the UTC-UT2 difference is known only in the future of the traveler wanting
to back?

(I am in Singapore, which is perpetually on Summer Time (UTC+08), although
we are 103E)
--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane