[LEAPSECS] Windows Server 2019

Nero Imhard nimh at pipe.nl
Fri Jul 20 10:23:38 EDT 2018

Martin Burnicki schreef op 2018-07-20 12:52:

> Nero Imhard wrote:
>
>> If that translates to "don't smear ntp" I could not agree more.
>> Smearing is catering to those who won't clean up their act,
>> causing trouble for those who try to do the right thing.
>
> Please don't blame ntpd for smearing leap seconds.

I don't. ntpd would be the victim here.

> Leap second smearing by an NTP server is just an optional way to avoid
> these problems because there's no better way to get around it.

Leap second smearing by an NTP server effectively means that it uses
a different time. Without a way to indicate, within the protocol,
what time a server uses (and there isn't because UTC is implicit) this
seems a really bad idea.

On another level, I regard it as some sort of "technical betrayal"
which erodes trust in protocols and standards, rendering them less
useful than they could be.

Isolate your workarounds and don't let them pollute your environment.