[LEAPSECS] leapseconds, converting between GPS time (week, second) and UTC

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Jan 15 14:12:26 EST 2019

On Tue 2019-01-15T10:50:10-0800 Tom Van Baak hath writ:
> Jim -- I'm replying via the LEAPSECS list because we love leap second questions here.
>
> List -- Jim is a long-time member of time-nuts, works at JPL, and does wonderful stuff.

If you set your POSIX system clock at TAI minus 10 seconds then
it keeps track of the number of seconds which have been counted
in the internationally approved radio broadcast time scales.

If you set your clock that way then you can use the "right" zones of
the IANA tz distribution and get conversions between the internal
system time and the civil time that has been specified in the
international agreements.

https://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/right+gps.html

Note that there are caveats to this scheme.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855