[LEAPSECS] Fw: IERS Message No. 417: Questionnaire on time metrology, including leap seconds in UTC

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Dec 17 13:39:47 EST 2020

Sorry that was supposed to be just to Richard

Having gotten into the survey, I can say it's one of the better surveys
I've seen, though it's a bit lacking in the 'how to implement it' side of
things.

I plan on writing down the results of the debates we've had here and
submitting that, in a form that's greatly reduced in volume and rancor...

Over on the NTP list, it's become clear that there needs to be a universal
format for distributing metadata about time scales so that all use cases
can cope, not just the 'keep time in real time' case that's been a prior
focus. To disseminate time scales, one must have additional information
about them: where they deviate from some standard / benchmark and where
they have disconformities (eg leap seconds) as well as for the span of time
the information is valid over.

Warner