[LEAPSECS] leap seconds in POSIX

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Jan 27 14:33:37 EST 2020

Steve Summit <scs+ls at eskimo.com> wrote:

> * The leap second drought of 1999-2006 rather nastily coincided
>   with a gradual change in the computing industry from "nobody's
>   clocks are synchronized that well anyway, so a second here or
>   there doesn't matter" to the opposite.  (But by the time we
>   realized we had a leapsecond problem, it was sort of too late
>   to fix it.)

It looks like we're in another long gap, based on the LOD chart and the
UT1-UTC prediction. The current gap is now the second longest...

https://datacenter.iers.org/singlePlot.php?plotname=FinalsDataIAU2000A-UT1-UTC-BULA&id=10

https://datacenter.iers.org/singlePlot.php?plotname=FinalsDataIAU2000A-LOD-BULA&id=10

Tony.
Viking: South or southwest 5 to 7, becoming variable 3 or 4 later. Moderate or
rough. Squally showers. Good.