[LEAPSECS] leap seconds in POSIX

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Jan 27 14:52:43 EST 2020

On Mon 2020-01-27T19:33:37+0000 Tony Finch hath writ:
> It looks like we're in another long gap, based on the LOD chart and the
> UT1-UTC prediction. The current gap is now the second longest...

In the middle of last year the rotation of the earth accelerated
enough that LOD went below 86400 for several weeks, and DeltaT
decreased significantly.

> https://datacenter.iers.org/singlePlot.php?plotname=FinalsDataIAU2000A-UT1-UTC-BULA&id=10
>
> https://datacenter.iers.org/singlePlot.php?plotname=FinalsDataIAU2000A-LOD-BULA&id=10

The LOD effects are easier to see using the plots from the Paris
bureau of IERS by requesting to remove the predictable tidal
variations that basically look like noise on the second plot here.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855