pandoc - an implementation of Markdown in Haskell

John MacFarlane jgm at berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 10 16:46:39 EDT 2006

I've just released an early version of a Markdown implementation in
Haskell (using the Parsec parser combinator library). pandoc converts
Markdown to HTML, LaTeX, reStructuredText, rich text format, and S5 HTML
slide shows. It partially converts HTML, LaTeX, and reStructuredText
to Markdown. It also makes it easy to include LaTeX math on HTML pages,
using Peter Jipsen's ASCIIMathML.js.

Source code and instructions are available at
http://sophos.berkeley.edu/macfarlane/pandoc.html

pandoc isn't a "fully compliant" markdown implementation. I've documented
the (very minor) differences in the README file.

I'd be curious to hear any impressions, bug reports, etc. (especially
if you get it working on Windows -- I've tried it only on linux and
MacOS X). You'll need the GHC Haskell compiler to compile it.

John MacFarlane