parsing question - lists and blockquotes

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 13:55:50 EDT 2006

On 6/8/06, Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote:

> Interestingly, PHP Markdown Extra kinda "solves" your problem by

> *not* making a blockquote inside the list, which I think is the

> expected behaviour when the list item doesn't contain any paragraph.

I just checked the python implementation and it appears to be the
same. You do not get a blockquote at all unless there is a line
between the list item and the blockquote. Like this:

- Item 3 contains a blockquote:

> quote line1
> quote line2

I tested that in perl and it seems to work corectly there as well. The
blockquote is part of the list item and ends before the next heading.

As an aside, python requires at least 4 spaces of indent, while perl
requires only 1. I also noted that python wraps all the list items in
implementation looks ahead and if any one item in the list is wrapped
in a <p> then all of them are.

--
----
Waylan Limberg