Possible bug in Markdown.pl with `<<` handling

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Mon Sep 11 17:54:07 EDT 2006

Fletcher T. Penney wrote:

> It appears that "double angles" are not properly converted when they are

> not in code blocks, if there is not a space following the second `<`.

> For example:

> This is not handled <<properly>>.

> becomes:

I'm just wondering… is there any case where you want `<<properly>>` not
in a monospace font? That has to be some kind of codeword, and I can't
imagine it coming up in regular prose. My suggestion is to either
escape the second `<`, as in `\<\<properly>>`, or else just wrap the
whole thing in `\`` marks, as in `` `<<properly` ``. Markdown shouldn't
be expected to deal with such weird almost–html-tag things.

-Jacob