Markdown MIME type?

Thomas Nichols nichols7 at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 4 18:47:13 EST 2008

Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote on 2008/02/04 13:44:

> * Thomas Nichols <nichols7 at googlemail.com> [2008-02-04 14:10]:

>> When this came up on the list before I think there was a

>> consensus that `text/x-markdown` is usable -- possibly with a

>> URI to identify the Markdown syntax used.

>> Did I understand that correctly?

> Yes, you did. Using a type with a subtype starting with `x-` is

> permissible, and in absence of a registered MIME type, the only

> thing that third parties can do.

> Note [RFCÂ 4288, section 3.4][1], though:

> However, with the simplified registration procedures

> described above for vendor and personal trees, it

> should rarely, if ever, be necessary to use unregistered

> experimental types. Therefore, use of both "x-" and "x."

> forms is discouraged.

> [1]: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288#section-3.4

> Regards,

Yup, I remembered that -- their definition of simplified may differ from
mine ;-)

This from Sam Angove is informative:
http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/markdown-discuss/2007-June/000646.html

Andrea Censi confirmed that [Maruku documents could be identified by
profiles][] and use:

"text/x-markdown; profile=http://maruku.org/syntax/#ver"

though there was some ensuing discussion about the legitimacy of
fragment identifiers for this purpose (or at least of parsing them,
instead of considering the URIs to be opaque).

If we could reach consensus about mime-type / profile, we could perhaps
submit them to Mozilla/Opera as recognised types to be rendered as
text/plain if no helper is installed?

[Maruku documents could be identified by profiles]:
http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/markdown-discuss/2007-June/000661.html

-- Thomas.