Markdown MIME type?

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Wed Feb 6 17:48:39 EST 2008

On Feb 3, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:

> Regrettably, there still isn’t one registered for Markdown. If my

> reading of [RFC 4288] is correct, John shouldn’t have any trouble

> registering eg. `text/vnd.daringfireball.markdown` using the

> application form at <http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/mediatypes.pl>.

> (Most of the “mandatory” fields in that form apply only to MIME

> types registered in the standards tree, not the vendor tree.)

I'm willing to do this, but I don't think I'm familiar enough with the
associated RFCs to fill out the form accurately.

Here's the thing, though: (a) To my eyes, "text/x-markdown" looks a
lot better than "text/vnd.daringfireball.markdown"; and (b) I don't
have to do a damn thing for "text/x-markdown".

What exactly would be the practical benefits over just using "text/x-
markdown"?

-J.G.