Syntax Questions

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Thu Jul 17 21:50:20 EDT 2008

Le 2008-07-17 à 16:41, Jan Erik Moström a écrit :

> Well, there is a good reason why Markdown doesn't do this. Many

> prefer to use a plain text editor which doesn't wrap text (I for

> example prefer my text files this way) and we insert hard new lines

> to keep the lines from becoming too long. If those hard newlines

> were translated into <br /> Markdown would be useless for a lot of

> people.

That's one reason. Personally, I often generally don't write hard-
wrapped paragraphs... except inside lists and blockquotes where I
wants things aligned properly in the source text.

For instance, I don't want my text editor to wrap automatically my
like item like this:

1. First item of a list with two lines worth wasted text
for your reading pleasure.

So I indent correctly the second line to make it better looking and
easier to write:

1. First item of a list with two lines worth wasted text
for your reading pleasure.

By doing this, I'm inserting a newline character at the end of each
line. If Markdown was adding a line break there, then I'd be forced to
write the bad-looking version, reducing readability of the source text.

The same applies to blockquotes:

> This and that and this and that and this
> and that and this.

You couldn't indent each line with a ">" if Markdown was to convert
every newline to a `<br />`.

> (and I don't think there is an option to get it to behave the way

> you want)

No there isn't one.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com