Syntax Questions

Jurgens du Toit jurgens.dutoit at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 05:13:02 EDT 2008

Kewl.

If you look at a formatter like tidy, it's got a lot of options where you
can turn certain behaviour on and off, making it much more useable for a lot
of people. Wouldn't it improve the usability of Markdown if these kind of
options were present?

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 3:50 AM, Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com>
wrote:

> Le 2008-07-17 à 16:41, Jan Erik Moström a écrit :

> Well, there is a good reason why Markdown doesn't do this. Many prefer to

>> use a plain text editor which doesn't wrap text (I for example prefer my

>> text files this way) and we insert hard new lines to keep the lines from

>> becoming too long. If those hard newlines were translated into <br />

>> Markdown would be useless for a lot of people.

> That's one reason. Personally, I often generally don't write hard-wrapped

> paragraphs... except inside lists and blockquotes where I wants things

> aligned properly in the source text.

> For instance, I don't want my text editor to wrap automatically my like

> item like this:

> 1. First item of a list with two lines worth wasted text

> for your reading pleasure.

> So I indent correctly the second line to make it better looking and easier

> to write:

> 1. First item of a list with two lines worth wasted text

> for your reading pleasure.

> By doing this, I'm inserting a newline character at the end of each line.

> If Markdown was adding a line break there, then I'd be forced to write the

> bad-looking version, reducing readability of the source text.

> The same applies to blockquotes:

> > This and that and this and that and this

> > and that and this.

> You couldn't indent each line with a ">" if Markdown was to convert every

> newline to a `<br />`.

> (and I don't think there is an option to get it to behave the way you

>> want)

> No there isn't one.

> Michel Fortin

> michel.fortin at michelf.com

> http://michelf.com/

Jurgens du Toit
Cell: +27 83 511 7932
Fax: +27 86 503 2637
Website: www.jrgns.net

If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done.
- Ludwig Wittgenstein