Syntax Questions

Jurgens du Toit jurgens.dutoit at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 02:47:50 EDT 2008

At the end of the day I probably will maintain my own copy, with some
changes, of Markdown. I also don't want to break the syntax. One of my
previous mails I mentioned a way that makes the Markdown more useable (by
being able to usefully use nl2br on the Markdown'ed string) without breaking
the syntax or HTML and plain text presentation.

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 1:09 AM, Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com>
wrote:

> Le 2008-07-21 à 6:32, Jurgens du Toit a écrit :

> I mean that "difficulty to test" must not impair the development process.

>> Yes, sure, don't roll out software that hasn't been tested, but, as

>> Markdown

>> is issued under an open source license, there's who knows how many people

>> who might want the untested functionality, and who will be willing to test

>> it, and probably improve on it as well. Me included.

> No doubt about that: testing shouldn't impair development. As you've seen,

> I'm not against experiments; I've even told you what to change to get what

> you requested.

> But I'm not interested in *publishing* this as a feature of PHP Markdown

> because I don't want to test and maintain a new optional feature. Not to

> mention that I think it breaks the syntax. If you wish to do the maintenance

> and testing it requires and handle the bug reports that will come (or ignore

> them), feel free to fork PHP Markdown and publish that; the license allows

> it.

> Michel Fortin

> michel.fortin at michelf.com

> http://michelf.com/

Jurgens du Toit
Cell: +27 83 511 7932
Fax: +27 86 503 2637
Website: www.jrgns.net

If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done.
- Ludwig Wittgenstein