spaces and newlines before list markers (was: evolving the spec)

Joseph Lorenzo Hall joehall at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 13:26:59 EST 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 10:00 AM, John Fraser <john at attacklab.net> wrote:

> Tightening up indentation rules is definitely a breaking change, and I

> don't see any payoff for users here. If anything, we should be making

> indentation rules more lenient.

My only desire is to figure out a way to allow the
whitspace-before-list-marker and also avoid the more general class of
"bugs" where a list is triggered by a sentence ending with a number on
an indented newline.

The reference citation I sent out on another thread is one example but
anything of the following form will trigger this:

* This is a list item with a hanging indent ending with a number,
4. The rest is considered a child of a new ordered list, no matter
what I do to this paragraph (other than rephrase to get rid of the
hanging-indented digit+dot).

Which produces

<ul>
<li>This is a list item with a hanging indent ending with a number,
<ol><li>The rest is considered a child of a new ordered list, no matter
what I do to this paragraph (other than rephrase to get rid of the
</ul>

Is this something we're comfortable with? If not, can we come up with
something that avoids this? best, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
UC Berkeley School of Information