spaces and newlines before list markers (was: evolving the spec)

Thomas Nichols nichols7 at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 2 19:03:22 EST 2008

Joseph Lorenzo Hall wrote on 2008/03/02 18:26:

> On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 10:00 AM, John Fraser <john at attacklab.net> wrote:

>> Tightening up indentation rules is definitely a breaking change, and I

>> don't see any payoff for users here. If anything, we should be making

>> indentation rules more lenient.

> My only desire is to figure out a way to allow the

> whitspace-before-list-marker and also avoid the more general class of

> "bugs" where a list is triggered by a sentence ending with a number on

> an indented newline.

> The reference citation I sent out on another thread is one example but

> anything of the following form will trigger this:

> * This is a list item with a hanging indent ending with a number,

> 4. The rest is considered a child of a new ordered list, no matter

> what I do to this paragraph (other than rephrase to get rid of the

> hanging-indented digit+dot).

> Which produces

> <ul>

> <li>This is a list item with a hanging indent ending with a number,

> <ol><li>The rest is considered a child of a new ordered list, no matter

> what I do to this paragraph (other than rephrase to get rid of the

> </ul>

> Is this something we're comfortable with? If not, can we come up with

> something that avoids this? best, Joe

Actually, when I first read your example I was confused -- I thought
'4.' was a second-level bullet point, despite the comma on the preceding
line. If a human (admittedly a very tired one) can make this
interpretation, I can live with a Markdown processor making it also.

John's proposed approach in
http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/markdown-discuss/2007-July/000690.html
seems to fit well with what a naive (tired) human might expect to
happen. As ever, YMMV.

-- Thomas.