Markdown Extra Spec: Parsing Section

Yuri Takhteyev qaramazov at gmail.com
Fri May 9 14:57:01 EDT 2008

> Still, why shouldn't refnames be allowed to have embedded brackets

> and newlines, if explicit links can?

To me those seem to be two entirely different things... The _text_ of
the link has to be flexible to allow almost anything. refnames, on
the other hand are identifiers and as such it makes sense for them to
be more constrained. For instance, if you allow new lines in them it
opens a whole bunch of questions as to what white space "counts".

> could be converted into a reference-style link like this:

> [[link with embedded brackets]]

I don't believe Markdown allows for links to be defined like this. A
reference style link would be defined as:

[[link with embedded brackets]][link with embedded brackets]

or

[link with embedded brackets][]

The latter case is positioned as a shortcut for the special (though
common) case where the link text is simple enough that you might as
well use use it as the ID.

- yuri

--
http://sputnik.freewisdom.org/