Markdown Extra Spec: Parsing Section

John MacFarlane jgm at berkeley.edu
Fri May 9 15:06:08 EDT 2008

> > could be converted into a reference-style link like this:

> > [[link with embedded brackets]]

> I don't believe Markdown allows for links to be defined like this. A

> reference style link would be defined as:

> [[link with embedded brackets]][link with embedded brackets]

> or

> [link with embedded brackets][]

Newer versions of Markdown.pl and PHP Markdown do allow the trailing
'[]' to be omitted.

% Markdown.pl --version

This is Markdown, version 1.0.2b8.
Copyright 2004 John Gruber
http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/

% Markdown.pl
[hi]

[hi]: /url

I agree that without this style of reference links, it would make more
sense to distinguish between link text and 'refnames'. But this style of
link gives a reason not to distinguish them.

John