ol start with a specific number?

Sherwood Botsford sgbotsford at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 09:57:32 EDT 2011

Markdown support is sufficiently fragmented that anyone who moves MD files
from one system to another without checking may be justly said to be getting
what he deserves.

It's getting apparent that JG has little interest in further work on
markdown. It is time to pretend that he has been abducted by aliens, and to
carry on without him.

I can see various things to happen from here:

1. BabelMark could become the repository for dialect differences. Couple
BabelMark to a wiki.

2. The various MD implementors could get together and define what is core
markdown. This is the feature set that everyone supports or is willing to
support.

Core features could be supported OotB, or Conf -- Out of the box, or by a
configuration file, or by a tag or flag in the file.

In particular the core group would define what behaviour should happen in
the edge cases where it currently is not well defined.

Thus constructs like the numbering issue earlier in this thread may have a
config file entry of:
LazyNumber = {traditional | initial } #traditional -- always starts with 1,
initial starts with the first number provided.

With time it's hoped that more and more of the features drift into core.

Question: If we look at the dialects of MD that account for, say, 90% of
the use, how many of the implementors of those are on this list?

Respectfully,

Sherwood of Sherwood's Forests

Sherwood Botsford
Sherwood's Forests -- http://Sherwoods-Forests.com