markdown conversion routines

David Parsons orc at pell.portland.or.us
Thu Jun 23 15:43:24 EDT 2011

On Jun 23, 2011, at 12:22 PM, Alan Hogan wrote:

> I know I am firmly on the side of "this stuff -- footnotes, DLs,

> fenced code, attributes on headers, automatic TOC -- is useful, [...]"

It's feature creep, and a lot of the implementations are ugly
and not even close to being plain text. Standard markdown only has
one barkingly hideous feature (![images]), and the extensions are
not made any more readable by adding more of them.

There are plenty of useful esoteric text-processing features
in Microsoft Word, but that word processor is not exactly known
as a paragon of thoughtful feature design.

-david parsons