newbie seeks repo for markdown

Wolfgang Faust wolfgangmcq at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 20:53:16 EDT 2013

One thing to bear in mind is that Gruber's markdown.pl hasn't been
maintained in years, and is riddled with rather odd
bugs<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/markdown-discuss/2013-June/002854.html>.
You may want a different one even if you don't need the extra features.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM, bowerbird <bowerbird at aol.com> wrote:

> don said:

> > at this time the classic markdown meets my needs.

> are you using "classic" markdown? or kramdown?

> kramdown is a great flavor. know what you're using.

> > i was looking for advice on how best to install it on a mac.

> and you got some advice. on how to install kramdown.

> you could've gotten advice on installing multimarkdown.

> > http://fletcherpenney.net/multimarkdown/download/

> or there are lots of other flavors. none is hard to install.

> > advanced features are less important than

> > having a reliable automated installation procedure.

> maybe i confused you, talking about "advanced" features.

> look at this page and you'll see that many of the options

> kramdown offers can't really be called "advanced" today.

> > http://kramdown.rubyforge.org/options.html

> to start with the top one, header id's are "standard" today,

> so markdown-converters are expected to generate them.

> (most especially since such id's will not cause any issues;

> after all, it's not as if you're _required_ to use them at all;

> but if they aren't created at all, then you _can't_ use 'em.

> maybe more to the point, nor can people who link to you.)

> and gruber's "classic" markdown does not generate id's.

> of course, what you will probably discover, quickly, is that

> the header id's generated by one flavor don't match those

> which are generated by another flavor, which means that

> you're going to encounter problems when you collaborate

> with another person (or yourself, at a future point in time).

> so even if your needs are indeed being serviced _now_,

> you are likely to find there will be glitches down the line.

> or hey, maybe not. return in 3 years if you wanna debate.

> -bowerbird

> p.s. but, bottom line, kramdown is as good as any flavor.

This message has been encoded in 128ROT13 for security. If you are unable
to view it, please consult an optometrist.