SmartyPants and dashes

Virgil Arrington cuyfalls at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 28 12:06:46 EDT 2014

Please bear with me as I am just a user and, by no means, a developer.
However, I've noticed some inconsistent behavior among different
implementations of SmartyPants when it comes to en-dashes and em-dashes.

**1. Calibre 2.7*

*When I recently uploaded a Markdown source file to Calibre and selected
its "Smarten punctuation" feature, it converted a double-hyphen "--"
into an em-dash, and a triple hyphen "---" into an en-dash. This
behavior was the opposite that I have come to expect using both LaTeX
and ReText, my default Markdown editor.

I reported the matter as a Calibre bug, but received a response saying
that the Calibre behavior was based on the official SmartyPants source
code, which states as follows:

"The string, with each instance of "--" translated to an em-dash HTML
entity, and each "---" translated to an en-dash HTML entity. Two reasons
why: First, unlike the en- and em-dash syntax supported by
EducateDashesOldSchool(), it's compatible with existing entries written
before SmartyPants 1.1, back when "--" was only used for em-dashes.
Second, em-dashes are more common than en-dashes, and so it sort of
makes sense that the shortcut should be shorter to type. (Thanks to
Aaron Swartz for the idea.)*"

*Confused by this, I tested two other methods of using SmartyPants, and
received inconsistent results.

*2**. Python Markdown v2.5.1*

I use ReText as my Markdown editor. It uses the Smartypants extension
that is provided with Python Markdown v2.5.1. It translates "--" as an
endash and "---" as an emdash, the *opposite* as Calibre. Below is the
translation table found at
https://pythonhosted.org/Markdown/extensions/smarty.html

ASCII symbol 	Replacements 	HTML Entities 	Substitution Keys
|'| 	' ' 	|‘| |’| 	|'left-single-quote'|,
|'right-single-quote'|
|"| 	" " 	|“| |”| 	|'left-double-quote'|,
|'right-double-quote'|
|'right-angle-quote'|
|...| 	... 	|…| 	|'ellipsis'|
|--| 	-- 	|–| 	|'ndash'|
|---| 	--- 	|—| 	|'mdash'|

At the bottom of the Python/SmartyPants extension page is the following:

"SmartyPants extension is based on the original SmartyPants
implementation by John Gruber. Please read it's documentation
<http://daringfireball.net/projects/smartypants/> for details."

Based on this, I went to Gruber's page and got yet more inconsistency.

*3. SmartyPants by John Gruber.*

At Gruber's SmartyPants page,
(http://daringfireball.net/projects/smartypants/) the following is found:

"SmartyPants can perform the following transformations:

  * Straight quotes ( " and ' ) into "curly" quote HTML entities
  * Backticks-style quotes (|``like this''|) into "curly" quote HTML
    entities
  * *Dashes ("**|--|**" and "**|---|**") into en- and em-dash entities *
  * **Three consecutive dots ("|...|") into an ellipsis entity"

Based on the order of the dashes listed, it would appear as if Gruber is
suggesting that "--" would turn into an en-dash, and "---" into an
em-dash (consistent with ReText, but not with Calibre). But, if I use
Gruber's online Dingus translator
(http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/dingus), I get yet a third
variation of the conversion. Gruber's online translator converts "--"
into an em-dash (as does Calibre) /but/ it turns "---" into an em-dash
plus a hyphen (no en-dash).

There appears to be either confusion or disagreement in the
Markdown/SmartyPants world as to how to create typographic dashes. Is
there any way that the developers can come together on this very small
part of the Markdown world?

Virgil