a case for native bounding asterisk support

Christian Perry christian at christianperry.dev
Wed Jun 3 18:29:37 EDT 2020

Hello! I've joined the list in the spirit of furthering discussion and
making improvements to Markdown.

The following case is one that comes out of tremendous angst that I've
experienced as a digital native who grew up online in seeing the steady
erosion of native support for the *bounding asterisk* convention as a
result of widespread markdown adoption.

I recently posted a thread to Github
<https://github.com/adam-p/markdown-here/issues/621>to make my case and
will repost it here (hope you don't mind):

I propose the introduction of native markdown support for *bounding
asterisks*, with the goal of restoring a convention of internet
communication and culture.

I believe that John Gruber's interpretation of bounding asterisks was
well-intentioned, but largely incorrect. From a UPenn article:

By "emphasis" Gruber explains that he means "informing the reader of a
shift in style or voice," likening the use of bounding asterisks to "how
foreign words are italicized in many publications and books." He figured it
was an "Internet-ism," tracing its use to the need for a plain-text
substitution for italicization or bolding. (Source
<https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=4466>)

"A plain-text substitution for italicization" is simply not why people use
bounding asterisks online. In internet culture (particularly in subcultures
of anime, gaming, and fandom), bounding asterisks are not used to
*emphasize*; they're used to *emote*.

The bounding convention, for those unfamiliar, places an asterisk-wrapped
phrase, written in third person, adjacent to speech, written in first
person. For instance:

*Walks into the dark room, unable to see a thing* Now where could I have
put my cheese?

*flicks on the light switch* Ah, there it is! Right where I left it on the
counter. *walks to the cheese and takes it, smiling with an accomplished,
satisfied grin*

Another use of bounding asterisks is to indicate an onomatopoeia (*nom nom
nom*) as referenced in the following scholarly article
<https://repository.library.northeastern.edu/downloads/neu:376918?datastream_id=content>.
To quote:

Expressions can also be recreated by naming the expression offset by
asterisks, for example ‘*grins*’. This technique can also be used to denote
onomatopoeias like ‘*gluckgluckgluck*’ recreating the sound of drinking
quickly (Hentschel, 1998).

There are instances in which, yes, bounding asterisks convey print-like
emphasis, but in my own experience this is a much less frequent use case
than emoting (though probably more frequent than exclaiming with an
onomatopoeia).

Nevertheless, because of the widespread adoption of markdown syntax, *it's
now impossible to write native asterisk-bound phrases on a number of
prominent communication platforms, including Discord, Slack, Reddit, and
Skype*.

I see this outcome as an unintended consequence of an original spec that
misread the intention of one of the internet's truly native communication
conventions (alongside emoticons and hashtag), a convention that ought to
be respected and restored.

I'm not alone in feeling passionate about this issue. There are threads to
a similar effect here
<https://www.reddit.com/r/help/comments/71hdvs/still_cant_figure_out_how_to_post_asterisks/>and
here
<https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/4kkpus/can_you_please_stop_cutting_and/>
and here
<https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360043381512-Please-allow-users-to-turn-off-auto-formatting>.

In the words of one Discord user:

Why should we have to use a backslash just to make a text application
transmit the text we type? It's one thing to offer it as a workaround, but
to use that to dismiss what others want is rude.

To move the conversation forward, I propose an alternative markdown
italicized syntax: *bounding double exclamation marks*.

For example: Huzzah, we can !!finally!! use bounding asterisks again!
*celebrates with much rejoicing*