a case for native bounding asterisk support

Allan Odgaard 1EDF4D33-D1B1-4C97-A393-3D2B4EE5E095+Markdown at uuid-mail.com
Wed Jun 3 21:36:09 EDT 2020

On 4 Jun 2020, at 5:29, Christian Perry wrote:

> To move the conversation forward, I propose an alternative markdown
> italicized syntax: *bounding double exclamation marks*.
>
> For example: Huzzah, we can !!finally!! use bounding asterisks again!
> *celebrates with much rejoicing*

The widespread convention in “my circles” prior to Markdown (mailing
lists related to the Amiga), was *bold*, /italic/, and _underline_.

Curiously Markdown appropriated the convention for both *bold* and
_underline_ as italic (emphasized).

But it’s obviously far too late to do anything about it now, as there
are thousands of parsers that use this convention, not to mention the
untold amount of user content that would render incorrectly, if the core
syntax of markdown was redefined.

Instead you need to lobby the various online communication platforms not
to force markdown upon you as the only markup language, at least they
should offer you a way to disable it.