[N&W] Re: Slide Valves vs Piston Valves

Tue May 4 22:40:31 EDT 2004

Mason -

I don't think so.  The cylinders rarely wore out; the pistons and valves
didn't wear on the cylinder casting itself; there was a cylinder liner
pressed into the cavity which was machined out to the proper inside diameter
for the piston to run in, with its packing rings.  The same was true of the
slide valve seats; they weren't part of the cylinder casting.  And piston
valves used a liner machined for the valve and the ports.  When these liners
wore out they could be replaced without messing with the cylinder casting.

If anything happened to the cylinder castings themselves, it was probably
wreck damage.  And the cylinders for those engines were cast in halves (both
the slide valve cylinders and the piston valve cylinders) so that if one
half was damaged a new one could be bolted on without replacing the whole
thing.

The Z-1b program was just that - a program.  How the individual engines were
selected for it has not come to light yet, but it was very unlikely that the
condition of the cylinders had anything to do with it.  The 1331 was the
lowest numbered engine selected; why none of the 1315-1330 bunch made the
cut is a mystery, so far.  Probably none of the Z-1s were selected because
of the Walschaerts valve gear.

There's a good bet that the 1399 was selected for the Z-2 because of its
number, although why they'd go for the 1399 instead of the 1400 is anybody's
guess.

And why they selected 74 instead of 75, or 70, is also anybody's guess; the
only thing might have been the curtailing of work during the depression.  It
could have been that the program was originally intended to do all 175 of
them.

EdK