VGN mystery photo

Tue Jul 13 08:40:34 EDT 2004

>DEEPWATER, WV connections ????
>
>What year was the bridge over the Kanawha River built to connect with the
>New York Central at Alloy ?

1931

>The 97 year mentioned must be the construction to the river but not across
>it.

It is 97 years from today back to 1907 when this photo was taken.

The original Deepwater RR was begun in 1898.  It was a 4 mile long line
from Deepwater to Robson, WV.  It serviced a sawmill in Robson.  C&O
provided the engines, cars and service until 1902.  The Deepwater RR was
rechartered in 1902 to build a line further south into WV.  They bought
engine #1 (named Fido) in March 1902 and began their own service.  The
Deepwater  was operated by the Loup Creek Colliery Company until Dec. 1905.

More details will be forthcoming in an upcoming Arrow article entitled
"Deepwater Locomotives".

>I say this because I was told by a former Union Carbide traffic manager
>that he was instrumental in getting the ICC approval for the extension
>across the river.

Along with a bunch of other interested parties.

Perhaps if H.H. Rodgers had lived the Virginian history would have been
vastly different.  Especially in regards to a Midwest line or connection.

Tom Salmon